Demography

Leh with an area of 45110 Sq. Km; which probably makes it largest district in the country in terms of area is one of the coldest and most elevated inhabited region of the world having 112 inhabited and 1 uninhabited villages. As per census 1991 population of the district is estimated as 0.895 lacs. which is risen to 1.17 lacs during census 2001. Population growth rate of 29.97% has been recorded during the decade 1991-2001 in the district. As per 2001 census 75.57% population is residing in the rural area. The biggest ethnic group is Buddhist having 77.30% of population followed by Muslims with 13.78% and Hindus with 8.16%. The main working force account for 33.07% to the total population where as marginal workers account for 16.50 % and non-workers 49.58%. The main occupation engaging the working force is cultivation (37.92%), agriculture labour (4.28%), household industry (1.24%) and other works (56.56%). Details of population by tehsils, blocks, rural and urban areas, etc are given in the chapter.

As per Provisional population figures of 2011 Census, the total no of villages are 113.